The Marshall Cemetery began as a small private burial ground. In 1895 a few local citizens formed a Cemetery Association. A smal handwritten ledger contains the minutes of this early organization. Work parties were held and lot owners were expected to attend and participate in clearing the land of brush and trees. Association memberships were available to those purchasing burial plots. A lot (containing six graves) cost $7.50. The cemetery was divided into Blocks, each containing four lots, numbered clockwise from 1 to 4. No individual graves were sold.
Several adjoining pieces of land were purchased and the cemetery expanded over the years, but eventually the association lapsed and the cemetery fell into disrepair. It was taken over by The Marshall Township, within whose jurisdiction it lay, and voter approval was obtained for a levy to provide minimal operating funds. Many residents of West Spokane Township had family members buried in Marshall Cemetery. When West Spokane came into extra funds, a joint Cemetery Board was formed by the two townships to care for the cemetery.
A local farmer named Elijah Eldridge, has wife, and many of their relatives are buried there. The Eldridges had no children and left their entire estate to the cemetery in a trust that provides for both capital improvements and general maintenance. When township government was abolished by the voters, all township funds were to be transferred to the Washington state General Fund where they would be absorbed. To preserve the trust for the benefit of the cemetery, a non-profit corporation was formed by several officers of the Marshall Township and several relatives of Mrs. Eldridge. This Board continues to operate the cemetery today.